Sexual abuse is the involvement of vulnerable adults in sexual activities, which they do not fully comprehend, to which they are unable to give consent, to which they object or which may cause them harm.
The following list may be indicators of many different problems - it is important not to jump to conclusions too quickly, some of the indicators could be as follows:
- Sudden change in behaviour
- Sudden onset of confusion
- Overt sexual behaviour / language by the vulnerable adult
- Self-inflicted injury
- Disturbed sleep pattern / poor concentration
- Difficulty in walking
- Torn, stained underwear
- Love bites
- Pain or itching, bruising or bleeding in the genital area
- Sexually transmitted disease / urinary tract / vaginal infection
- Bruising to upper thighs and arms
- Frequent infection
- Severe upset or agitation when being bathed etc.
- Pregnancy in a person unable to consent